Tuesday, May 31, 2011

According to trends, I am too fat and too short.

What do you think of when you think of the standard beautiful woman? How tall is she? What race is she? What's her build like?

Teen Vogue December 2009
The answer depends totally on who you are talking to and when. My generation is brainwashed by ads and current clothing trends, to be a beautiful woman, you must be tall, skinny, and lack any curves. However, Mom grew up where it was acceptable to be an Audrey or a Maryiln. Maybe you think Mom's generation was nicer to women; but Audrey and Marilyn did have one similarity: race.

Current issues of Teen Vogue show models of great varieties in race. (Non-teens: think United Colors of Benetton ads). When I look at photos like this, I try to pick the "me" in them, with no luck. Sure, there are white brunettes but, they certainly do not have my build.

With whatever is considered "pretty" at the moment, at any time in history, some type of person will always feel ugly and excluded. Much of mainstream fashion and advertising works simply like "nice looking person using a product will make viewer buy product". "Nice looking" depends completely on what trends of the time are. Maybe you've seen the Carl's Jr. ad below on television lately (way too often, in my opinion, but I do watch a lot of TV). A woman dressed as a Carl's Jr. employee walks in a room full of skimpily dressed women eating burgers and says "We believe in putting hot models in our commercials; because ugly ones don't sell burgers." Thanks, Carl's Jr., I was so offended by this, it isn't likely I will eat at your restaurant again (not that I have much. no vegetarian options).



The interesting thing about trends is they change. I hope for a future (preferably near future) where not just skinny or white or blonde women are considered beautiful but all women are. It's been skinny models in magazines for a while, but over time, you may see me, looking "beautiful" on the cover of a magazine.

4 comments:

Domenico Maceri said...

Nice job.

Linda said...

Okay, now you've made me feel really old. Thanks. (Kidding).

Seriously, Marilyn Monroe was the same age as my mother (and died when I was little), and I think Audrey Hepburn was just a few years younger. They were more style icons for the generation before me than for my generation. I guess the equivalents for women my age were Twiggy and Raquel Welch. But it wasn't exactly the same.

I think you just gave me the topic for my next post.

Meg Needles said...

very nice post. And down with carl jr's. 0_0

I know how you feel. I can't read beauty mags any more because I feel like they tell me everything is wrong with me rather than celebrating everything right. It's like, if you're not a single-digit size, if you are single and if have curly hair then you aren't worth breathing.

Lucia said...

If you look a little harder, there are some lesser known magazines that are a little more friendly too the normal people. The sad part is, that we have too look harder to find them.