Thursday, June 2, 2011

Evidence of how fast my brain moves and that I have no organizational skills whatsoever

"I like music" gets said by probably 2/3 of all the people I've ever met or read about. I was thinking about the variety of music I like, and while it's not Mom's, it is reasonably eclectic. However, I am extremely limited in the country I like; basically to one band: The Dixie Chicks. The first song by them I recall hearing was "Goodbye Earl."

Music videos are supposed to explain a lyrical story, visually. "Goodbye Earl" is one of my absolute favorite videos because it has such a mini-movie feel (rather than just a dude walking around a city.)

If I haven't mentioned (I forgot already!), I will mention my appreciation for musicals. They are an insanely over-the-top portrayal of what could a be a very simple and possibly boring story. Think "Grease Lightning" from (well duh) Grease. I don't know if you've ever been to an auto-shop (I haven't, because...um...no car...or license...or permit...or desire to drive anywhere), but I'm thinking that mechanics never burst into song and dance. (RIP Jeff Conaway)

If done correctly, a musical, both on stage or on screen, sudden song and dance, will appear normal. (I'm not even going to try to use Rocky Horror as an example because it's just too weird...and cool.) Which brings me to Glee, the High School Musical Television Hour. Unlike HSM (yes, I'm THAT generation), something seems off every time Rachel walks down a hallway (or in the school library) singing. Don't other students or librarians notice the sudden singing? (or the fact that there is a piano in the library?) Glee, the show, is insanely over-the-top, and honestly, getting a little old. This joke was too cheesy to really last.



1 comment:

Linda said...

As you know, I've never been a big Glee fan to begin with, and I agree that it's wearing out what little welcome it ever had. But to give them a little credit: they do seem to be in on the joke of their own fundamental absurdity. That lifts them a baby step above HSM, I think