Saturday, July 2, 2011

How to Eat a Veggie Burger

I switched to mostly vegetarian meals about a year ago. I use the term "mostly", because the fact is: I like meat. I refuse to give up my Thanksgiving turkey (Actually, I could give up the turkey, but not the gravy-laced stuffing!), and occasional BBQ ribs from our local and best-ever rib-joint. It was pretty easy to give up the boring daily meats: sliced turkey, tuna-fish, and meatloafs, because I didn't love them to begin with. The last time I did eat meat was by accident about a month and a half ago (Hawiian pizza is not not pineapple pizza, for the record).

1: Know Your Meats

Because there are so many variations on the term "vegetarian", it's difficult to keep them straight.

Here are the restrictions of each term:
  • Vegetarian = Ovo-Lacto-Vegetarian = Doesn't eat fish, poultry, or mammals.
  • Ovo-Vegetarian = Doesn't eat fish, poultry, mammals, or dairy.
  • Lacto-Vegetarian = Doesn't eat fish, poultry, mammals, or eggs.
  • Pescetarian = Doesn't eat poultry or mammals.
  • Vegan = My Personal Torture = Doesn't eat fish, poultry, mammals, dairy products, eggs, or honey.
  • Mostly Vegetarian = Cheating Vegetarian = Me = Eater of everything, but limits meat consumption as much as possible.
2: Know """Meat""" is not Meat

Mom made really delicious soy burgers from Yves Meatless Ground Soy Crumbles, a few nights ago. You should know that soy is not meat. When you bite into that chunky burger, and expect beef, you will be extremely disappointed. If you can get yourself to thinking that a burger is just a sandwich, and not required to have a dead animal on it, you will likely enjoy your burger to be a delicious energy source.

3: Know Your Proteins/Veggies

If you're not eating meat-based burger, you should pack some protein source in that patty. Beans, soy products, nuts/nut-based products, are your standard choices. The amount of protein you need depends on who you are. BUT, there have been studies showing that many Americans eat too much protein, which has consequences.


If you don't know your way around the kitchen too well, I recommend Dr. Praeger's Caliofornia Veggie Burgers. The brand knows how to make delicious, healthy, vegetarian options, without loads of chemicals.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I like the doohicky you linked to showing how much protein you need per day. I need about 40 grams, and I know, from days when I run what I eat through Spark People, that I get that much or more most days, without eating meat.

Domenico Maceri said...

I am a quasi-vegetarian. I will eat tuna and sliced turkey a few times a week. I like the smell of barbecue but can do without it but not for ever. I don't like food camouflaged into something else with a new name suggesting it's meat. I still have a hard time eating hot dogs because of the name. I can't remember the last time I ate one.